Crisp on the outside and creamy on the inside, these salsa-topped, red-lentil rice cakes make a lovely vegetarian entrée. They offer a great way to use leftover basmati rice; if you’re starting with cooked rice, use about 1 1/2 cups. Add mixed greens to the plate for even more color.
Salsa:3 cups finely chopped plum tomato (about 6 tomatoes)1/4 cup chopped fresh basil1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar2 teaspoons capers1/4 teaspoon saltCakes:5 cups water, divided1 cup dried small red lentils1/2 cup uncooked basmati rice2 tablespoons olive oil, divided1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper1/2 cup finely chopped red onion1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed2 garlic cloves, minced3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil1 teaspoon salt1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1. To prepare salsa, combine first 5 ingredients; set aside at room temperature.
2. To prepare cakes, bring 4 cups water and lentils to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain. Place lentils in a large bowl.
3. Combine remaining 1 cup water and rice in pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Cool 10 minutes. Add rice to lentils.
4. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper, onion, fennel seeds, and garlic to pan; saute 2 minutes or until tender. Cool 10 minutes. Add to rice mixture. Add mozzarella cheese and remaining ingredients, stirring until well combined. Let stand for 10 minutes.
5. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Spoon half of rice mixture by 1/3-cupfuls into pan, spreading to form 6 (3-inch) circles; cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Carefully turn cakes over; cook 5 minutes on other side. Remove cakes from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and remaining rice mixture. Serve with salsa.
Calories 279Caloriesfromfat 28 %Fat 8.7 gSatfat 2.5 gMonofat 4.2 gPolyfat 0.8 gProtein 15.9 gCarbohydrate 35.8 gFiber 6.6 gCholesterol 8 mgIron 2.8 mgSodium 660 mgCalcium 142 mg